I’m in the process of re-visioning my business, and would love some help from my community. My business, sciencegeekgirl enterprises, has been really successful and brought me great joy — and I’m wanting to thrust my energies for fully into it. However, my vision has morphed and crystallized over the years, and it’s time to put some energy into its’ mission.
For one, I think I need a new name that more fully expresses what I do.
And what exactly do I do? I provide a variety of services that are all in the name of improving STEM education based on what we know about teaching and learning, primarily from discipline-based education research (DBER).
- I do a lot of external evaluation — helping programs to identify their goals, giving them formative feedback on achieving those goals, and taking data to inform and measure the success of the program. I’m told I’m pretty good at this, and I expend a lot of energy to synthesize multiple data sources to help inform programs. I see my role as external evaluator as a different sort of “change agent”.
- I also do some writing and editing, including multimedia production, to communicate and disseminate various ways to improve STEM education (such as video or writing on teaching strategies, or working on national reports about education).
- I also sometimes offer workshops, and can also facilitate working groups and learning communities, to help faculty build capacity in teaching and learning.
So, my mission is something like this: I help faculty and programs to build capacity, using evidence-based teaching practices, and using data to inform programs and interventions, to improve STEM education. And by “improve,” I mean to use what we know about effective teaching to increase retention, diversity, learning, attitudes, and other student outcomes, and to use what we know about effective professional development and institutional change to improve teacher capacity, confidence, and motivation to use such methods.
So, what should my name be? While “sciencegeekgirl” has wonderful name recognition, as I’m hired by more departments and programs, I think I need a name that more clearly encapsulates what I do, and that I’m serious about this work. Here are some ideas — more ideas welcome from the comments:
- Education and Evaluation Consulting
- STEM Education Consulting
- Evidence and Action
- Education, Evidence and Action
- Evidence Driving Action
- Education Research Enterprises
Now I’m thinking of something using my name instead, since that’s really the recognition, but having it be more than my name so it’s clear what I do:
- Chasteen Academic Consulting
- Chasteen Science Advancement Consulting (I like the “advancement” but not sure how to work it in)
- Chasteen Educational Consulting (though that could be taken as K12, so “academic” is kind of nice)
- Chasteen Innovation Enterprises