We’re on our 500th post! Come over and say hello.

by Stephanie Chasteen on November 30, 2010

Welcome to the 500th post of sciencegeekgirl!  To celebrate, I’m going to resurrect a meme from Not Exactly Rocket Science (via Cocktail Party Physics) and ask readers to introduce themselves in the comments.  Lurkers and one-time visitors and vocal frequent visitors — you know which one you are.  Say a quick hello and tell us what you’re doing here.  And if you’ve got a blog, indulge in some shameless self-promotion and tell us about it!

And an anniversary present out to all of you guys…  Who knows about Little Shop of Physics? All kinds of awesome, yes?  Fun and cheap hands-on activities.  I had the good fortune to be in one of their workshops recently and was very impressed by their Molecules in a Box activity.  This kinesthetic activity demonstrates very nicely why it is that pressure increases when you  heat something up.  Stick a bunch of people in a loose pen and give them instructions (walk until you bump into someone else, then bounce straight off). By instructing them to move faster or slower, your observers on the side will count more or fewer collisions with the walls of the “container”.  An increase in pressure!  See the PDF of this activity here.

They’ve also got a new video podcast. Here is an episode, below.

Andy Rundquist November 30, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Congratulations on 500! (Not 500 factorial, that would be crazy). My name is Andy “SuperFly” Rundquist and I’m a physics professor at Hamline University in St. Paul, MN. I blog about physics, teaching, and parenting with recent posts about how I deal with canceling terms and negative signs in derivations. I also discuss how I’ve flipped my classroom with content delivered online with questions, discussions, and problem solving in class.

I’ve really come to look forward to new posts here. They’re always thought provoking and they provide info about all kinds of things that I’m interested in. Thanks, Stephanie, for all the hard work and congrats again.

Tom Satter November 30, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Good job on getting to the 500 mark! My name is Tom Satter and I teach all sciences (physics, bio, chem, anatomy, earth sci, ecology) to 9th through 12th grades at Justice High School in Lafayette, Colorado. I love the strategies that Stephanie suggests and enjoy following the research in teaching that she digs up.

Frank Noschese November 30, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Congrats on 500! I’m Frank Noschese and I teach HS physics in NY. I love all of your PER and AAPT posts! And everyone should checkout her old podcast series “Science Teaching Tips” which has lots of great advice for new and veteran teachers.

Thanks for all your hard work — it helps improve our work in the classroom!

Jae Sherman November 30, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Congrats on your 500! Love the site. I have been lurking for quite awhile now.

I used to be a HS physics teacher in Redondo Beach, CA and in Washington, DC. I have recently returned to school to pursue my masters in physics.

Michael December 2, 2010 at 2:54 am

Hi Stephanie! I typically lurk, but love your posts, and hope you keep going. Thanks for being dedicated to this, and I wish more of us (me included!) did this kind of communication and built a community of physics (education) (research) bloggers…

Jason Buell December 2, 2010 at 7:49 am

Hi Stephanie,

I’m Jason Buell and I teach 8th grade physical science in San Jose, California. Congrats on the 500th post!

Aarthi December 2, 2010 at 8:37 am

Hi Stephanie,

Congrats!! I am Aarthi and I teach science to grade 5-7. I try to teach using activities to make it more interesting and to bring in relevance to every day things. I like your posts and the podcast series. Thanks for posting stuff regularly.
You are doing great work!! Keep going.

Dallas Raby December 2, 2010 at 11:57 pm

I’m a faithful lurker, RSS on my home page and all. Always interested. Congrats and keep up the great work.

Brian December 7, 2010 at 2:05 am

Hi Stephanie. My name is Brian Carpenter and I teach HS physics. I’ve been lurking here for the last 100 posts or so. Your posts are always useful and they are often shared around the science department as well as being shared with my students.

I teach at an all-girls school, so when I share one of your blog posts with my students (such as the bumblebee and static electricity one), I like to let them know who wrote it too. It’s important that they see a variety of future careers in science as well as successful women in those careers. Thanks for all you do.